Contact us to arrange an audition!
Upcoming auditions for the San Luis Obispo Symphony Orchestra, will take place November 3-5.
Since its founding in 1961, the SLO Symphony has been an artistic, economic, educational, and community-minded entity in the Central Coast of California. The orchestra’s season includes an annual performance of “Pops” at Avila Beach, a bi-annual New Year’s Eve Pops concert, and a chamber series in more intimate venues. We perform five Classics in the Performing Arts Center at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo.
Community Baptist Church, 51 Foothill Blvd., San Luis Obispo, California 93405
Audition FAQs and APPLICATION PROCESS
a) What materials do I need to submit to apply for an audition?
Please send a one-page resume (including email, address, and phone number) to [email protected] to be received no later than March 21, 2022 (strings). To secure an audition time, you will need to complete and submit an online application and one-page resume, and an audition deposit of $25.00.
An application is only considered complete upon the arrival of all application components. Please note that all audition materials must be filled out completely, and received by the application deadline, with the deposit, to secure an audition time.
b) What information needs to be on my resume?
Please limit your resume to one-page. Additional pages are discarded, so please keep your resume concise.
The following information must appear clearly on your one-page resume:
- Email Address
- Telephone Number (cell preferred)
- Current Mailing Address
Please email your resume to Ingrid Kovacs, Personnel Manager at [email protected]
c) Do I need to submit a recording?
Yes, for the first round only, but the second-round auditions will need to be in person. All recordings must be submitted by March 24, 2022. String candidates will be notified no later than March 28 if they have been advanced to the “live” second round. The recorded requirements are as follows:
Associate Concertmaster-all solos, plus the violin excerpts listed below:
- Brahms Symphony No.4, 4th Mvt., 8 mm before B to D
- Mozart Symphony No. 39, 2nd Mvt., beginning, take first repeat to 2nd beat of m. 37.
- Mendelssohn Midsummer Night’s Dream, Scherzo, beginning to 17 measures after K
- Strauss Don Juan, first page
- Beethoven Symphony No. 5, 2nd Mvt, beginning to m. 106
- Strauss, Don Juan, beginning to 6 measures after D
- Mozart Symphonoy No. 35, 1st Mvt., beginning to Letter B
- Shostakovich Symphony No.5, 1st Mvt., rehearsal numbers 15-17
- Beethoven Symphony No. 5, 2nd Mvt., beginning to m.10; mm. 98-106; mm. 114-124
- Mozart Symphony 40, 1st. Mvt., mm. 114-138 (20 measures before C to 5 measures after C)
- Brahms Symphony No., 2nd Mvt., beginning to m. 15; mm. 46-55
- Strauss Don Juan, beginning to Letter D
- Beethoven Symphony No. 5, 3rd. Mvt., mm. 141-219 (Trio) w/o repeat
- Mozart. Symphony No.40, 1st Mvt., mm. 114-138
- Stravinsky Pulcinella, Suite VII. Vivo (Figure 85-6 measures after 93 w/o repeat)
- Bach, Violin Concerto in E Major, MWV 1042, Adagio, mm. 1-15
d) When will I receive further information?
Usually, you will receive correspondence within 2-4 weeks. ALL correspondence is done via email.
All information regarding the audition is posted on the SLOS website. This information includes an information letter, which details the audition schedule, deadlines, etc., a repertoire list, and the online application. It is my goal to have the website updated before the auditions are announced, but this is not always possible. I ask that you please be patient and keep checking the audition page. Many times, the information regarding the audition is posted without the repertoire list. This is because the list is not yet finalized. As soon as the repertoire list is finalized it will be posted to the website.
e) What if I need to cancel my audition?
Please contact the Personnel Manager for any cancellations.
f) What if I miss a deadline?
Likely, your materials will not be accepted. If extenuating circumstances are at play, an exception may be made, but typically, this is not the case, and your materials will simply be discarded. Auditions are planned months in advance and simply forgetting to send in your resume, application and/or deposit on time is not an acceptable excuse.
g) Can I request a specific audition time?
When you submit your complete application, please email the audition account [email protected] with your audition time request. This email should include your requested audition date and time, as well as your reason for the request. If you need to request a specific time, I strongly encourage you to submit your application as soon as possible. This greatly increases the odds of getting the day and time you need, as requests are honored on a first come, first served basis.
If you receive an audition date or time that doesn’t work for you, you may submit a request at that time, but your request may not be granted, as it is much harder to change your audition time once it has been set.