Contact us to arrange an audition!
We appreciate your interest in the San Luis Obispo Symphony Orchestra auditions, which will take place November 3-5, 2022. In this email, you will be informed of the audition timeline and requirements changes.
Since its founding in 1961, the SLO Symphony has been an artistic, economic, educational, and community-minded entity in the Central Coast of California. The orchestra’s season includes an annual performance of “Pops” at Avila Beach, a bi-annual New Year’s Eve Pops concert, and occasional chamber opportunities in more intimate venues. In addition, we perform five Classics in the Performing Arts Center at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo.
We currently have the following openings:
- Associate Concertmaster-Thursday, November 3, 5:00-6:00 pm First Round; 6:00-7:00 pm Second Round
- Section Violin (3 positions)-Thursday, November 3, 7:00-8:00 pm First Round; 8:00-9:00 pm Second Round
- Principal Cello-Friday, November 4, 5:00-6:00 pm First Round; 6:00-7:00 pm Second Round
- Section Cello (1 position)-Friday, November 4, 7:00-7:30 pm First Round; 7:30-8:00 pm Second Round
- Substitute Positions all Strings-Friday, November 4, 8:15-9:00 pm
- Section Bass (2 positions)-Saturday, November 5, 9:00-10:00 am First Round; 10:00-11:00 am Second Round
The audition location:
Community Baptist Church, 51 Foothill Blvd., San Luis Obispo, California 93405
To apply for a posted audition, please click on the https://www.slosymphony.org/audition/
Here you will find the audition information, application, and the audition repertoire. All applications must be submitted online.
Audition FAQs and APPLICATION PROCESS
- a) What materials do I need to submit to apply for an audition?
Please send a one-page resume (including email, address, and phone number) to [email protected] to be received no later than October 14, 2022. To secure an audition time, you will need to complete and submit an online application and one-page resume and a non-refundable audition deposit of $25.00. Please use the direct link, which is also found on the audition page: https://slos.secure.force.com/ticket/#/instances/a0F5G00000OSUieUAH
An application is only considered complete upon the arrival of all application components. Please note that audition materials must be filled out completely, and received by the application deadline, with the deposit, to secure an audition time.
- b) What information needs to be on my resume?
Please limit your resume to one page.
The following information must appear clearly on your one-page resume:
- Email Address
- Telephone Number (cell preferred)
- Current Mailing Address
Please email your resume to Ingrid Kovacs, Personnel Manager, at [email protected]
- c) Do I need to submit a recording?
OPTION #1: You can submit a recording (audio) for the first round by October 14, 2022. String candidates will be notified no later than October 28 if they have been advanced to the “live” second The recorded requirements are as follows:
Associate Concertmaster-all solos, plus the violin excerpts listed below:
- Brahms Symphony No.4, 4th Mvt., 8 mm before B to D
- Mozart Symphony No. 39, 2nd Mvt., beginning, take first repeat to 2nd beat of m. 27.
- Mendelssohn Midsummer Night’s Dream, Scherzo, beginning to 17 measures after K
- Strauss Don Juan, first page
- Beethoven Symphony No. 5, 2nd Mvt, beginning to m. 106
- Strauss, Don Juan, beginning to 6 measures after D
- Mozart Symphony No. 35, 1st Mvt., beginning to Letter B
- Shostakovich Symphony No.5, 1st Mvt., rehearsal numbers 15-17
Cellos: For the first round recording option #1, submit an application stating you wish to apply for the Principal Cello position, please include the excerpts from Tchaikovsky Swan Lake and Rossini William Tell, as well as the four excerpts from the Section Cello list. For ‘live’ round 1, prepare the same.
For Round 1 ‘live’ option #2, the same as above.
For Round 2, we will hear the Strauss Don Quixote and Brahms Piano Concerto No.2 and the section cello excerpts.
- First movement exposition of any concerto in the standard repertoire.
- Solo Bach. One movement from any of the Bach Suite for Solo Cello.
- Orchestral solo excerpts from the following:
- Tchaikovsky Swan Lake Suite Op. 20a 4th movement Scene (two measures before figure 6 to the end.
- Rossini William Tell Overture from the beginning- m.48 (Opening Andante to downbeat of Allegro)
- Brahms Piano Concerto No. 2 3rd movement, solo cello from letter D to the end
- Strauss Don Quixote: Theme, Variation I, Finale as marked (see second excerpt list below)
- Beethoven Symphony No. 5, 2nd Mvt., beginning to m.10; mm. 98-106; mm. 114-124
- Mozart Symphony 40, 1st. Mvt., mm. 114-138 (20 measures before C to 5 measures after C)
- Brahms Symphony No., 2nd Mvt., beginning to m. 15; mm. 46-55
- Strauss Don Juan, beginning to Letter D
- Beethoven Symphony No. 5, 3rd. Mvt., mm. 141-219 (Trio) w/o repeat
- Mozart. Symphony No.40, 1st Mvt., mm. 114-138
- Stravinsky Pulcinella, Suite VII. Vivo (Figure 85-6 measures after 93 w/o repeat)
- Bach, Violin Concerto in E Major, MWV 1042, Adagio, mm. 1-15
OPTION #2-In-person audition. In person, first-round audition will occur the first half of the audition time spread. Then we will begin hearing players who have advanced to the second round starting the second half (see schedule above).
- d) When will I receive further information?
Usually, you will receive correspondence within 48 hours. All correspondence is done via email. Audition information is posted on the SLOS website.
- e) What if I need to cancel my audition?
Please get in touch with the Personnel Manager for any cancellations.
- f) What if I miss a deadline?
Likely, we will not accept your materials. If extenuating circumstances are at play, an exception may be made, but typically, this is not the case, and will discard your materials. Auditions are planned months in advance and simply forgetting to send in your resume, application, and deposit on time is not an acceptable excuse.
- g) Can I request a specific audition time?
Please email the audition account [email protected] with your audition time request when you submit your complete application. This email should include your requested audition date and time and your reason for the request. If you need to ask for a specific time, I strongly encourage you to submit your application as soon as possible. This increases the odds of getting the day and time you need, as requests are honored first come, first served.
If you receive an audition date or time that doesn’t work for you, you may request another time, but your request may not be granted, as it is much harder to change once we’ve set the audition times.
Ingrid Kovacs, DMA
San Luis Obispo Symphony Personnel Manager
San Luis Obispo Symphony
75 Higuera St., #160
San Luis Obispo, CA 93401
Cell: 702-768-1935 (emergencies only)