Strings in the Schools
Get ready for fun! Strings in the Schools is a fantastic way to introduce your child to the joy of playing a musical instrument.
Available to students from third to sixth grade, Strings in the School offers before- or after-school group lessons to introduce the foundation of playing a string instrument. Built for beginners, Strigns in the Schools students learn how to count rhythm, read music, properly hold their instrument and bow, and develop basic fingering technique. After one year, students can continue their music education experience by joinging Super Bows.
Quick info about the program:
- Tuition is $390 for approximately 30 lessons (including performances) per academic school year.
- Scholarship deadline is Friday, September 22, 2018 with a $50 deposit. Applications (available PDF at bottom) must be submitted and sent via email or mail and a $50 deposit (payment can be made here; checks are accepted).
- Classes begin the second week of September. Please see the list below to find out when the first day of SIS class will be for your school.
This program brings a unique opportunity for children to launch a lifelong love of music
Strings in the Schools serves more than 120 students each year. These children come from SLO County and beyond - this is the only orchestra program that teaches violin, viola, and cello to elementary school students in the area.
Many of the schools where Strings in the Schools is taught are Title I, with a high percentage of low-income families. By keeping tuition low and offering need-based scholarships, the program helps fill the arts education gap while remaining accessible to everyone.
After one year, Strings in the Schools sutdents are eleigible to continue their music education epxerience by joining Super Bows.
Register Your Student
Strings in the Schools is open to stsudents from the thrid to the sixth grade. Lessons are held either before or after school, and will be offered at the following locations for the 2018-19 school year:
San Luis Coastal Unified School District
Baywood Elementary Th 3:00-4:00 PM
Bishop's Peak Elementary M 8:20-9:20 AM
CL Smith Elementary M 8:00-9:00 AM
Del Mar Elementary F 2:50-3:50 PM
Hawthorne Elementary M 8:00-9:00 AM
Los Ranchos Elementary W 3:00-4:00 PM
Monarch Grove Elementary W 2:50-3:50 PM
Pacheco Elementary Th 3:00-4:00 PM
Sinsheimer Elementary M 3:00-4:00 PM
Teach Elementary F 3:00-4:00 PM
Lucia Mar Unified School District
- Dorothea Lange Elementary W 7:45-8:45 AM
- Shell Beach Elementary M 8:25-9:25 AM
Templeton Unified School District
- Vineyard Elementary W 1:50-2:50 PM
- St. Patrick's Elementary F 3:30-4:30 PM
Fill out a registration form by clicking here
Tuition is $390 for the school year and can be paid by clicking here (currently under construction; please check back soon).
A payment plan option is available where tuition can be paid in three installments:
- Friday, October 5, 2018
- Friday, November 2, 2018
- Friday December 7, 2018
Partial scholarships are avialable. A scholarship committee will review all scholarship applications and will determine the amount each student receives using a sliding scale. Scholarships will be awarded depending on financial need, number of applications received, and funds available. A PDF of the application is available at the bottom of this page. A $50 deposit is required of every application submitted (currently under construction; please check back soon)
Instruments may be rented at Instrument Check Out Day:
- Saturday, September 22, 2018 from 10am-12pm
- 75 Higuera St, Ste 160, San Luis Obispo, CA 93401 (Symphony office)
Instruments will be rented out on a first-come, first-served basis. Pricing is as follows:
- Violin - $65 (returned at the last class of the year)
- Viola - $65 (returned at the last class of the year)
- Cello - $85 (returned at the last class of the year)
The next step after SIS is Super Bows. This group is the entry level ensemble to our youth symphony program. Tuition is $390 and meets every Monday afternoon for the academic school year. Click here to find out more about Super Bows (currently under construction; please check back soon).