Super Bows Conductor
Super Bows Conductor
Music Education Director, Executive Director, Music Director
The Super Bows conductor teaches string pedagogue (violin, viola, and cello) and ensemble skills to students in grades third through eighth once a week, September through May, for one hour. Emphasis should be placed on improving: A) reading and counting of rhythms, and B) ability to play in a steady tempo. Each performance will be an opportunity for students to successfully demonstrate their learned skills, creating a rewarding experience for the students.
Students signing up for Super Bows will have had instruction on learning good posture, sound production, and the ability to identify music notes. In the following link, Super Bows performs the second half of the annual String Play Day. The first half showcases the conclusion of Strings in the Schools, the feeder program for Super Bows. The level of Strings in the Schools at its conclusion represents the level for Super Bows at its starting point. For reference of the String Play Day performance, please visit the following link: https://youtu.be/re6jrquTTT0.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Teach classroom lessons for one hour a week (4:00pm – 5:00pm) with an emphasis in string pedagogue and development of ensemble skills.
- Attend monthly Youth Symphony conductor meetings with Music Education Director and Executive Director.
- Lead students through appropriate performances throughout the year.
- Recruitment of students.
- Effectively using “Student Mentors”; student musician volunteers from the various ensembles in Youth Symphony.
- Knowledge in teaching violin, viola, and cello.
- Skills with classroom management of children ranging from third through eighth grade.
- Experience with lesson planning to achieve overarching goals of the San Luis Obispo Symphony music education programs.
- Able to keep students engaged in a fun and educational atmosphere.
- Successful completion of a background check.
- Willingness to enforce appropriate student behavior during rehearsals and performances.
How to Apply
Email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday, July 2, 2018. The cover letter should highlight your qualifications and why you would be a good fit for the position.